Michelle Anderson Picarella; Illogically Logical



Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Politically Correct Poker. Play the Race Card- Win it all!

This morning, I noticed that Nate Dogg was trending on twitter. As my curiosity normally gets the best of me, I looked at the tweets to see what was happening with Nate Dogg. It does not take long to see that he has passed away. While skimming through the tweets to look for a cause of death, I notice that over 90% of his tweets are quoting references to illegal drugs and vulgar acts and demoralizing women.

I was actually heart broken to see that all of his fans, gathered on one site- THIS is what he is remembered for. He left behind a legacy of blunt smoking and getting serviced by "tricks and hoes".

I tweet:

"Wow. Reading the tweets of Nate Dogg fans makes him look like a real loss. Smoking blunts and hoes giving oral. Gotta be known for something."

In a matter of moments- a random person has tweeted me. Someone that I do not know and that their name on twitter happens to be @ThatBlacBarbiie, stating that he was actually known for his amazing music.
I reply that you can not tell anything beyond smoking blunts and demoralizing women by the tweets of his fans, and that is sad.
In reply I get:
@ThatBlacBarbiie Sarona Blac Barbiie
" So is Stereotyping people.i Suppose i smoke weed cause im black too"

Who in the heck said anything about race? Not me- but guess what? A white person commenting on the death of a black man....This brands me. Nothing more.

The conversation goes on and on, because, if you know me, you know that I get fired up when my buttons get pushed. It's a flaw. I am aware. Most likely, it was what BlacBarbie was going for.

I was informed that I didn't know anything about racism...I am white, how could I?
I instantly recall first grade. A group of girls were singing in a circle. I loved singing, so I sat beside them and asked what they were singing. It did not even occur to me at that moment that I was the only white child near the circle until....
One girl snapped at me, "It's a black song. You wouldn't know it."

"A black song?" I pondered. "What's a black song?" The circle tightened and I noticed the shunning I was getting- so I walked away to play with an Indian girl in the sand. She did not say to me, "You are white, what do you know about sand?" No. We just played.

The song that the girls were singing rang through my mind for years. It was the only black song that I knew of, because in my house, we were not racist. We listened to Elvis, Dianna Ross, Ray Stevens, Little Richard, anything that was decent...
Later in years, when I was finally allowed to watch music television, I saw the video for this song...This black song...and oh my, a white woman was singing this song. They had no idea. Why couldn't have been just a song?

Skip ahead.

Years later in middle school... These same girls now had an even larger group, in which anyone else was bullied by. I sat with a group of laid back kids after lunch each day. We made jewelry out of dandalions and sang songs- Which ever songs we all knew. At that age, most of it was Nirvana.
Each day, these girls came through- stomping our flowered jewelry, kicking dirt onto us, pulling our hair- nothing was done. The girls decided to brand us as "devil worshipers". Why, though? As we sang quietly, in our tye-dyed tops, hippie skirts, and sandles- helping teachers, honor roll students- why were we branding as such and why was it let go? We had never done anything to these girls and even the teachers feared them- so there we were- daily victims after lunch. All that we had was each other.
Finally, we had enough. We plotted. We passed letters, we schemed. And the next day after lunch we met as usual, in our circle. We sang songs, twisted the yellow weeds into small creations as they circled like vultures. A few tugs of hair went by as normal- a few kicks of dirt onto our clothing.. Then at once, we retaliated the best way that we knew how.
Our circle of girls fell backwards onto the ground, we convulsed, we muttered things that made no sense at all, then we sang. We sang as loud as we could.
Oh my God, did those girls freak out. It was more than we could had ever expected. They ran in chaos, screaming, praying to Jesus, begging for the Lord to shield their souls. I swear, I heard a few break out in tongues.
Somehow, this spread across the entire school lawn. Everyone seemed to be in mass hysteria. We sat. Silent. Amazed.

Shortly after that, many of us were called into the office. Questioned one by one. A mass assembly was called in the gym. Our group was separated. For the rest of the year. We were deemed the problem. I am puzzled by that event, even to this day.

The point is, I don't know racism because I am white, according to @thatblacbarbie- I didn't even have the energy to address with this tweeter the kind of racism I had seen beyond the realms of my whiteness when I had shown pride in my Native American roots in the past.

Also, I can be a grammar Nazi. Another flaw. I could not resist correcting her when she said to me, "Your ignorant."

I simply pointed out that it should be "you're ignorant" and that tweet really backfired on her.
From there- I was saying that because she was black, she could not afford a proper education.

I reminded her that we live in America and we have a public school system..If she does not use her words well- it is due to laziness not her color.

I know that I make jokes...maybe too much... But on a serious note. Racism is not a white thing. It's a human thing. And it is wrong.
I think it is pathetic that a person commenting on a Rapper's legacy of drugs and vulgar sexual slang is declared as racist for the simple fact that it is a white person commenting on a black person.
It is even more amusing considered the big Charlie Sheen kick I have been on. I guess I was not attacked during those puns because it was a white person talking about a white person- But honestly, isn't their real last name Estevez, which would make him Hispanic? Anyway.....

This is politically incorrect but plain and simple black and white. (had to do that)

There is a college fund just for African Americans, correct?
What kind of hell would there be if there was an United Caucasian College Fund?

The NAACP is no different than the KKK, minus the fact that it is politically incorrect for the white people to do so. They are BOTH wrong.

There is BET television station, but if there were a WET- it would be racist.

There is EBONY magazine, but if there were IVORY- it would be racist.

GREAT AMERICAN LITERATURE will be changed, in turn, changing history- in order to be politically correct with a choice word that is actually relative to the time period of this book being removed- THIS would never happen NEVER to conform to how improperly women were treated during the same time period. (Nor should it be...both should remain true to history)

Racism DOES need to end. But in order for it to die out, a serious look should be had at which directions it really does spawn from in everyday life.

1 comment:

  1. Props to you for blogging on such a touchy subject! I agree with you 100%. You have expressed what many are scared to say out loud!

    ReplyDelete