Michelle Anderson Picarella; Illogically Logical



Monday, October 4, 2010

Educating yourself about Islam.

For the past few weeks I have seen headlines across the internet and even the television (the few times that I actually cut the tv on) about educating yourself about Islam. Now I have seen a headline revolving around teaching your children about Islam and tolerance. Are you really surprised that I have an opinion to offer?
What is the great demand to teach ourselves and our children Islam and tolerance- hand in hand? I am so confused and dumbfounded over this vast demand for Islamic tolerance. It is as if we, as Americans, shun a foreign religion simply because it is not the dominate "American" faith. This is untrue. Bluntly, we shun our own more than we do that of foreign life styles.
9/11 did occur. It was not the fault of all followers of Islam, we all know this. To be politically correct, we are supposed to show no fear, sorrow, or anger for anyone that follows the same faith of the suicide bombers of 9/11. Get over it. "Politically Correct" has worn it's welcome.
America has become a daily battle of everyone hates everyone. "Politically Correct" is a smoke screen. You have to be "pro" or "anti" on every possible topic. Abortion, gay rights, immigration reform, education, taxes, gun rights, race, and of course- religious diversity. How many of us know firmly where we stand on each of the topics and scream foul to the other side? How many of us actually see both sides of the spectrum?
I have no ill will towards any of Islamic faith, nor do I want this blog to be seen as an angry "hate" post. It is just the opposite, acutally. I do not hate, the faith nor the followers, though at the same time- I am unwilling to provide myself or my children with any extra attention to Islam. What is the point?
I find it manditory to teach my children all areas of faith surrounding this world. I was raised a christian. When I was old enough to find the research needed, my mother allowed me to study all forms of faith; Even when others, many close family members or friends- held their noses in the air "in the name of God" at my quest for understanding. I read and studied the base, the history, the followers- of every faith that I could get my little hands on. In the end, I did find myself back into the word of christianity- though I was able to take knowledge and lessons from each faith that I had studied. With this, I also grew a level of love, understanding, and tolerance for others that were not driven by the exact faith of my own. I am also more secure with my faith in God than I would have been with out these studies.
I will raise my own children with this theory. While I agree that it takes a simple minded person to hate the unknown, you do not have to nod and agree with things that make you unsettled after you know just what it is that you disagree with. I feel that any human being with hold ill will towards anything that they feel is being shoved down their throats. My children will learn about Islam. As well, as Buddhism, Judism, Satanism, Black, Italian, White, German, Republican, Liberal, Gay, and Straight- but I will not make it a special point to seek knowledge of Islam to comfort my family over 9/11 any more than I would offer a screening of "Cheech and Chong" to comfort people with the massive migration of Hispanics across the border...

No comments:

Post a Comment