Michelle Anderson Picarella; Illogically Logical



Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Jesus loves Santa. Why don't you?


I am a firm believer of "to each, his own" or "different strokes for different folks" but I have to admit, every now and again, I see an opinion that just burns my biscuits.
While on the way to the local D.M.V., we passed a church today. A very normal, run of the mill sort of church. I love reading church signs, especially during the holidays. I find them to be warm and inspirational with simple reminders of what is truly important in life. This sign disturbed me, deeply.

"Satan Claus never died for anyone"

This is the main sign for a church. I understand that not everyone is hip to the concept of Father Christmas, but why step on toes in such a rude manner during the holidays? We all do not have to follow the same beliefs, but as Christians, should some level of love and tolerance not be expressed?

Santa does not take over Jesus. He does not overshadow him. There is no reason to not celebrate the birth of Christ with showing the compassion of Saint Nicholas. If a family highlights more of Santa over the birth of Jesus, that is a family issue. "Satan Claus" has about much business being on a church sign as a political party declaration.
How many children's hearts are you going to break during the holiday season with such a thoughtless message. Do you really...honestly...deeply think that hurting someone with a cruel message will show Christianity in a good light and lead them towards Jesus?

One of my favorite Christian songs begins with a voice stating, "The leading cause of Atheism in the world today is, Christians."

The core point of that song echoes throughout my body every time that I see an idiotic message spewing for all eyes to see- in the name of God.

To the members of this church in Blythewood, South Carolina- and to any other churches that may be spreading this same sort cold and heartless message in hopes of ruining some child's holiday- My Jesus warm your hearts and open your eyes.

5 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly. Santa is not the devil and comparing him to Satan is ludicrous. I just do not understand why certain Christians seem to completely lack the ability to respect belief systems that differ from their own. If I want my child to believe in Santa Claus then that is my friggen business and nobody else has the right to tell my child what to think. That sign would have completely ticked me off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of me ( a decently sized part) want to get a mic and amp and spend Sunday outside of the church singing Santa Christmas songs...but thinking about it, I suppose that wouldn't make me much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No it wouldn't, but you know what would be funny? If you sneaked over there in the middle of the night and put a giant inflatable Santa up in front of the sign ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or better yet, if you know anyone that belongs to the local Santa Look-Alike Club, invite them ALL to that church on Sunday, in or out of uniform. Just their mere presence there will show that the jolly old elf is the "bigger man" for tolerating such insults.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish that I knew more people around here. That would be perfect. Maybe I should post a Santa convention in the field across from the church on Craigslist or something...

    ReplyDelete