Michelle Anderson Picarella; Illogically Logical



Friday, July 2, 2010

The repair man & a simple woman

I would like to know how it is possible in the year of 2010 for men to still think women are their lesser? What is it about a man- not all men, but many- that seem to think that women are simple and conversations must be "dumbed down".
Earlier this week, a repair man showed up to measure for a new stove since our 1800's model device crapped out. As he pulled out his measuring tape to get the numbers, I explained to him that I had already done so, and I went on to tell him the dimensions of the space where the stove is. This man looks at me, gives me a half-cocked smile as a grown up might give a child, and continues to slide open his measuring tape and measure the space. What a surprise to me, when his numbers were just the same as the ones that I had recited to him moments earlier. Of course, he didn't seem too amused. It must have been a fluke for a women to read a tape measure properly.
Days later, when he and his 900 year old partner arrived to put in the new stove (with out a phone call, just like a man) it became even more obvious of how simple this man must think that I really am.
This man says to me, "Where is your breaker box?"
"Outside in a door near the pool."
He then peaks out the french doors and says in a most annoyed manner, "Ma'am, there is no breaker box in that storage barn out there, it's gunna be somewhere in this house, most likely your garage."
"Sir, it's not in the garage, and I didn't say in the barn, I said there is a door outside on the house.....It goes into a small storage room. The breaker box is in there."
Then this fool looking like something from a redneck Miami Vice says to ME, " Do you even know what a breaker box is??? It's that thing with the little clicky buttons that turns things on and off in your house."

I laugh, not because it was amusing to me, but it is what an educated lady does when she is trying to not use the "f bomb" or larger words that may go over a simple man's head and bruise his ego.

"I guess I am gunna go check inside this "door" she is talking about." Redneck Don Johnson says to Father Time in an annoying grunt.

The old man stares at me while short bus is outside heading to my breaker box. He says nothing. I am unsure if this man also thinks he is in a room with a dumb broad, or if he has learned better in this last few centuries of his life. Awkward.

Finally, this pompous man walks back into my house and says, "Well, I don't know who built this house, but it was out there in that room. I wouldn't have a house like this fer nuttin..aint built right."

(You're right. You couldn't stand a house like this, bubba...it has no wheels.)

They go on to do various annoying things, such as tell me, not ask, that I have to move my car. I said, "My car isn't outside, it's in the garage."
"I know, but I need to be there with my truck so I don't have to walk as far." he says.
Weeeeeeeell then, sure wouldn't want to put him in any discomfort during his vacation at "Hotel Simple Woman." And then, he goes on to tell me where I need to park my car at my own house...and described a spot as "easy to park" because as a women, I must also be a horrid driver. No way, I park where I want to park, and you are lucky that I am even moving my car, but I am a well educated women and as a well educated woman, I know when to step aside to help the lesser of my species.
The amusing part was when they brought the new stove in and obviously Mr. Wizard measured the new stove improperly, since it wouldn't fit. But do not despair, this genius knew just what to do..Beat the hell out of my cabinets with a hammer, his foot, and then his butt. For a moment he actually looked like he was having a brokeback moment with my cabinet and I wasn't sure if I needed to take the kids and give him a moment....Well, when that didn't work as planned, he pulled out his saw and starts sawing my counter top!!!! Not to mention, did he take the time to move what was on my counter???? No....simple man...Thanks for the saw dust all in my coffee pot, on my bag of chips, and my precious tequila....how common.
They were even nice enough to offer me a moment to clean up their mess. I mean, I have a vagina, it must be my duty in life to clean.
The funny thing is, how swiftly their attitudes changes when my husband walks in the door. Daniel says nothing...nothing at all, and these guys just start talking about tools to him, and how they have enough to build a house, "but ya gotta to do this job." they say...
Yes, you are right, you do need hammers, saws, drills, and butt muscle- when you don't measure a stove....but I am just a simple woman....what do I know???

1 comment:

  1. I love this......
    Why did they not know they were in the presence of greatness...lol
    I love your wittisisms!!!!

    ReplyDelete